Wednesday, August 5, 2015

D.I.Y. Homemade Tomato Powder


This year I have decided to focus more on dehydrating instead of canning. I have learned that dehydrating tomatoes instead of canning them is better (for me anyway) in many ways. Let me list some of them.
  • It takes up a LOT less space in the pantry (one quart jar of dehydrated tomato powder holds well over 20 pounds of tomatoes, maybe 25-30 pounds)
  • It is more shelf-stable if done properly
  • No heavy pots or hot jars to maneuver around
  • It takes much less prep and work time; most of the process is simply waiting for them to dehydrate
  • It does not heat up the house or put a bunch of extra humidity into the air
  • It's easier to use (in my opinion)
  • It can be done a little each day
I'm sure there are more benefits, but those should give you a good enough idea as to why I prefer this over canning. Really though it all comes down to the fact that it is something I can do myself, even with my physical limitations. This has been a major blessing to our food storage efforts! All of these fresh, ripe, organic, heirloom tomatoes are sitting on our shelf in powder form, waiting to be used, and the effort was minimal.

The process is simple. The photo above has the steps in order:
  •  Slice the fresh, ripe tomatoes 1/4" thick (I used my nifty Borner V-Slicer Mandoline purchased from Amazon - LOVE IT!)
  • Place onto the dehydrator tray, do not overlap. Dehydrate at 135* until dry (tomatoes will be slightly leathery but obviously dry). Some say to squish out the seeds and juicy middles but I say leave them in! It will take longer but why waste the nutrition these things provide? The type of tomato will have an effect on the drying time. For instance, a roma tomato (which is a paste variety) will dry much quicker than a juicy beefsteak tomato. Plan on at least 8-10 hours but probably longer for the juicy kinds ... and even longer if you leave all the seeds and juicy pulp in.
  • Remove from trays and pack into a coffee grinder or blender. I found the coffee grinder worked better and I think that's because I was able to pick the grinder up and shake it while it was on. If you use a coffee grinder you will have to grind in batches.
  • Funnel the powder into a mason jar. When it is full, add a 100cc oxygen absorber and vacuum seal it with a Food Saver mason-jar attachment. Add the jar ring.
  • Write the date and the jar number. Store in your pantry.
So far I have 4 full quart jars with a lot more on the way. So simple and rewarding!!

To make tomato sauce, whisk a few tablespoons of powder with a cup of water (or paste - use half the water). Now with that you can make so many things ... add basil, garlic powder, onion powder, salt and a little sugar for spaghetti sauce. Add oregano, onion, garlic and salt for pizza sauce. Or whatever other tomato-based sauce you like :)
You can also add this to soups, stews, homemade bread, popcorn, etc. There are so many possibilities.

2 comments:

  1. Does this really work well? Is there a noticeable difference in taste when you make tomato sauce? I would really prefer this over canning too!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Shari - I see I never responded!!! Sorry about that! Yes, it works well. I still have some left from last year so I just canned everything this year. It really preserves the garden-fresh flavor! I do find it harder to get the various sauces right - the seasonings I mean. It seems I have to use more sweetener to off-set the tartness of the concentrated tomato. But no complaints - I'm so thankful for the powder!
      I pray you are well.

      Delete

Comments are moderated - I will get to them as soon as possible. Thank you!