Wednesday, February 25, 2015

DIY Homemade Airlock for Fermenting


Not too long ago a commenter on my Easy Lacto-Fermented Carrots video asked why I did not use airlocks. My only reason was that I thought they were too expensive but I hoped to own at least one some day, money permitting. After some research however it seems using an airlock produces a truer ferment and is sure to keep out unwanted, air-born bacteria and yeasts which might contaminate your batch. Though I've never had a problem with the latter, I was still curious of the benefits so I asked said commenter if he had any suggestions. He said he made his own quite cheaply ... and of course that got my wheels turning ... and I am now the owner of 6 airlocks for way less money than what I ever thought possible.

Here's how I did it.


I purchased the individual components needed from Amazon. I will link them here but I'm sure sooner or later the supplier will run out, the links will be changed or whatever. If you notice a link does not work, please let me know and I'll try to find another one.

3 Piece Plastic Airlock (pack of 6) $8.41
12 GROMMETS BPA-free Food Grade Silicone for Fermenting in Mason Jars $7.17+$2.20 shipping (there was a shipping discount for ordering this and the next product from the same seller)
12 STOPPERS #000 3/8" BPA-free Food Grade Silicone $7.17+$2.19 shipping (NOT needed but handy)
 
Supplies already on hand:
Drill with 5/8" bit
Wide-mouth Tattler lids and rubbers
Wide-mouth rings
Wide-mouth mason jars of various sizes (1/2pt, pt, qt and 1/2gal)

Note: if you do not have Tattler lids the normal metal lid may be used however an alternative that can usually be purchased at a local store is the plastic "Ball Storage Caps" ... but they are NOT air tight so you WILL NEED a rubber gasket of some kind.

Tattler lids can be purchased from their website or on Amazon (or other places too I'm sure).
Ball storage caps can be purchased from the local store or Amazon (or other places too I'm sure).
Rubber gaskets (reusable silicone seals for mason jars) to use with the Ball storage caps can be purchased on Amazon (or other places too I'm sure). Or you may use a Tattler rubber.
These nifty reCAPs should work too ... I found them on Amazon. They look exactly like what is used in this video. This would eliminate the need for the drill, the bit and also the [optional] stopper and rubber/silicone gasket.

Corban drilled a 5/8" hole into each Tattle lid and then the 3-piece airlock was inserted until the tip came through the other end snuggly.

Now I have airlocks for any size wide-mouth mason jar ... half gallons for things we eat more of (like sauerkraut, curtido, or carrots) and 1/2pt jars for things we either do not need much of or for experiments. Yay!

First up: Beet Kvass (be watching for a post in the near future!) and Carrots. Yum.

2 comments:

  1. Thank you so much for your wonderful YouTube videos, that's how i got here. Infound your tip on using a plastic lid to keep carrits submerged extremely useful and I'm hunting around the house for one for ny hot banana pepper rings i started last night. I'll be for sure referring over and over to your channel for more info as I'm really interested in lacto fermentation and feeding my family nourishing food.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm glad it is helpful!! Another option is to use a sturdy ziplock bag filled with water. When you put it on top of your fermenting food it totally covered the top of the food :)

    Mmmm - fermented banana pepper rings sounds very good! I never thought of doing those before so thanks for the idea!

    ReplyDelete

Comments are moderated - I will get to them as soon as possible. Thank you!