Sunday, January 11, 2015

Natural Help for Scalp Psoriasis and Dandruff

A few people I know (my daughter included) have a terrible time with scalp psoriasis and several (including me) have issues with dandruff when the weather gets dry and cold. Last year a friend gave me a recipe to help scalp issues; I tweaked it and came up with something that really helps scalp psoriasis. We've had great results so I thought I'd share it here in case someone else is struggling with the same thing.

Use organic ingredients if possible.

4oz unrefined shea butter
3.25oz virgin coconut oil
2T+2t jojoba oil
1t castor oil
1/2t vitamin e oil
1/2t rosemary essential oil
1/8t lavender essential oil
10drops grapefruit seed extract

If shea butter is too solid, gently warm it but DO NOT heat it too much.
Place all ingredients into a high-walled container (like a gallon pitcher) and stick-blend till smooth and well combined. Keep in a clean, glass jar(s).
If it's hot in the house keep this lotion in the fridge for longer shelf life.

Both shea butter and coconut oil leave all the grease behind. I have found that babassu oil is a good substitute for the majority of the solid fats in lotion and penetrates well but I have not tried it in this scalp lotion. Let me know if you experiment with it or any other combination.

To learn more about the properties of each ingredient, please visit the Rose Mountain Herbs website ... they have a lot of good information and it seems their products are high quality, though I do not get everything from them - some of the items I purchase come from Azure Standard, Vitacost, Amazon and Costco. I've heard some mention Bulk Apothecary as well though I have never tried their store ... yet ... maybe I will some day.

But back to the scalp issues!!

What we found helped the most was the following routine: Wash hair with Burt's Bees Baby Bee Shampoo and Wash, Tear Free. Now, there is a clear baby shampoo and a milk-colored one; we get the milk-colored one. When a good lather has formed, place 4-5 drops of rosemary essential oil into the palm of your hand, rub on to both hands and then work into your scalp. The lather of the shampoo helps the essential oil to spread better. Rinse. If you can handle it, do an apple cider vinegar rinse (a tablespoon or two into a 12 oz squeeze bottle filled the rest of the way with warm water ... really the amount of vinegar to water will depend on your hair and scalp so you'll have to experiment to see what works best for you). Rinse again with water and towel off.

While your hair is still damp, gently work in the above scalp cream into your scalp. It's best to do this in the evening so you can sleep on it all night. The results will be kind of greasy, so be sure to have a towel on your pillow or wear some kind of cap or covering. In the morning you might need to wash your hair again. We wear head coverings so it's not really an issue to have greasy looking hair because no one can see it anyway.

Repeat every night as needed. When it clears up just do a maintenance application of the lotion as often as you need it (at least once a week?) but continue to wash your hair the same, including the essential oil each time.

For an added bonus, make an herbal vinegar hair rinse: fill a 32oz mason jar half full of rosemary and/or lavender. Add apple cider vinegar (raw, organic) to the top. Cover with plastic wrap and cap tight with the mason jar lid and ring. The plastic wrap will prevent the metal lid and ring from corroding. Keep on the counter and shake once or twice a day for two weeks. Strain. Throw out the herbs (compost them).

Now, what's this about Dandruff? Well, it happened by accident really. I used to get such tight, itchy, dry scalp in the winter time UNTIL I started washing my hair with the Burts Bees baby shampoo/wash and adding the essential oil as mentioned above. No more dandruff, no more tight, itchy, dry scalp.

There you have it. Please let me know if you try any of the things suggested here ... I'd like to know if they work or do not work for you. Also, if you have something that is working for you, please share!!

6 comments:

  1. Thank you so much for posting this. I can't wait to try it! I have learned so much from both of your blogs. Even though we don't know each other, you have been such a blessing in my life. Thank you and God bless you and your family!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you so much for letting me know! It's always nice to have a little encouragement.

    If you think of it, please post back and let me know how this recipe worked for you (good or bad).

    Lord bless you too.
    :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Joanne, just wanted to let you know I tried the dandruff treatment a week ago and it really worked! I've tried so many things over the years and just presumed I would always have a horribly itchy, flaky scalp. The only difference was I used the non milky shampoo as where we are in the UK that's what I could get. I seriously have had an itch free, non flaky scalp. Just now a week later I'm starting to get the odd itch, but not many flakes. So I probably now need to wash my hair again.
    Thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  4. That's great! Thank you for letting me know.

    Yes, whenever I begin to get itchy I just wash my hair again and am sure to include the essential oils.

    It's good to know the clear golden kind works too! Thanks again for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I have only been using it for five days, so far. But, it has helped tremendously! Although, I did not use Burts Bee's. Instead, I used Shea moisture's baby shampoo. It has raw Shea butter, chamomile, aragan, frankincense and myrrh. Thanks again!

    ReplyDelete
  6. "Granakos" thanks for checking in! That shampoo you used sounds really nice - I'll have to give it a try. I really like frankincense and myrrh essential oils and have recently been experimenting with using them in lotion. I'll check back and let you know how that brand works for us.

    ReplyDelete

Comments are moderated - I will get to them as soon as possible. Thank you!