Tuesday, March 25, 2014

Tasty Tuesdays: Do it yourself!

I'm going to share a story.

I grew up on fast food, hot dogs, mac & cheese, pb&j and other similar processed junk foods. Now, don't get me wrong here and go a direction I am not even heading! I'm not saying ALL of these things are bad or that we should NEVER eat them. I'm just painting the stage: I grew up on nothing but junk ... except when I ate at grandpa and grandma's house.

When I moved out, I had no idea how to cook, unless you consider knowing how to heat up microwave dinners and prepare packaged pastas (specifically: ramen and mac & cheese) knowing how to cook. Oh yes, I also knew how to open a can. We did not have money, so I visited the food pantries as often as was allowed. It was through the food pantries that I discovered a wider variety of foods, though in reality it was still very narrow! Lots of packaged foods like Hamburger Helper and other various flavored pastas and rices. I'd also get basic pantry items like flour and sugar. I did not know how to cook, so what was I supposed to do with flour and sugar?! I got a cookbook and began experimenting.

Hamburger Helper remained my favourite - it was so easy to make and I really felt like I was serving my children a good meal. I would cook the hamburger, prepare the packaged food, heat up a can of vegetables and serve a glass of milk. All four food groups, right?! At some point I had the idea to add in carrots and canned mushrooms. I already knew I did not like canned or frozen carrots, so I was forced to buy a package of carrots, peal them and slice them. At some point my Hamburger Helper meal further evolved to also include cheddar cheese. Now that's all four food groups in one pan!
1989 edition

Somewhere during this time I was really enjoying making cakes and cookies from scratch. I loved my cookbook! I'm not sure what year it was published [I think it's the 1989 one pictured at the left], but it's still my stand-by today ... very stained, dirty and old looking. It is one of the "Better Homes and Gardens New Cookbook." Also at some point I realized that the only thing I was lacking in making my own hamburger helper was the gravy. So I learned how to make gravy and the rest is history. That was at least 16 years ago but maybe more.

So for my 'tasty tuesday' installation, I would like to encourage everyone to ditch the boxed meals and make your own.

The basic components are:
- Grain (rice, pasta, millet, quinoa, etc.)
- Vegetable (whatever seems right with your other choices)
- Meat (left-overs work great for this!)
- Sauce (homemade gravy or a homemade "cream of _____" soup) (a basic white sauce [start with about 2T butter, 2T white flour and 1c water or milk; melt butter, add flour and mix till a paste, slowly whisk in water/milk and heat till thickened, whisking often. ] with some flavouring added in.)

Extras that add flavor, texture and color:
- Cheese
- Nuts or seeds
- Dried fruits

And of course, spices such as salt, pepper, garlic, basil, oregano, etc.

You can even make your own dry mixes or at least some of the components to the mixes. I usually do not do this but I will make my own seasoning mixes like 'chicken bouillon' and 'onion soup mix'. 

So, what might this look like?

A beef and noodle hamburger helper would be good with beef (ground or chunks), carrot slices, mushrooms, onions, garlic, pasta, brown gravy, salt and pepper. Thyme would go well too. Beef bouillon may also be added for extra flavor. It helps to cook the pasta separate and add when the other is ready. Salting the pasta cooking water adds a little flavor to the pasta.

A lasagna hamburger helper would be good with ground beef, broken pieces of lasagna noodles, tomato sauce, basil, onion, garlic, salt, pepper. Top with mozzarella and parmesan cheese. You can even drop spoonfuls of cottage cheese around top before adding the other cheeses. Serve green beans and/or a salad on the side.

Chicken alfredo hamburger helper: use leftover chicken pieces, a white sauce with a little heavy cream and parmesan cheese added in, fettuccine noodles and broccoli. Season with a little salt, pepper and garlic powder.

Chicken rice: cook all the ingredients together in one pot; used left-over chicken that's ready to go. Saute an onion first, then add the rice and some veggies (may cheat and use a bag of frozen mixed vegetables), and the cooked chicken. Top with about 3 times the amount of water or stock as rice (so, if you use 1 cup of rice, add 3 cups of water or stock). Add salt, pepper and garlic. Add chicken bouillon of stock was not used. Cook till done (white rice simmer for at least 20 minutes; brown for at least 45).

The ideas really are endless!! Be creative. Write down what you do ... that way if you like it you'll know what to do next time and if you don't like it you'll know what to change. It helps to have honest critics! Ask your family: "Do you like this?" If they do not like it, ask if there is something they would change to make it better. Don't just throw out a recipe the first time if no one likes it! It might only need a small change or two. Sometimes however there are recipes that are total flops and not worthy of putting forth effort to alter and experiment. That's ok. Just move on!

When I make up a new recipe and we all like it, I am sure to write it on a recipe card and date it. Sometimes down the road I get new ideas for the same recipe or will note on the card what sides we like to eat with that particular meal.

Also, don't ever be afraid to write in your cookbooks!! It took me about four years to discover this idea. I began altering recipes and would forget what I did. Dah! Just make a note right in the book. How simple! You should see my basic cake recipe ... there are four or five different recipes I made up using that one recipe as a springboard ... that particular page is filled with notes all along the margins. Maybe that will be my next 'tasty tuesday' instalment? We'll see.

I am so thankful for those boxed meals; without them I might never have had the idea to try to do it myself. 

Happy cooking!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Comments are moderated - I will get to them as soon as possible. Thank you!