Friday, March 28, 2014

Frugal Friday: Free Living History Shows

Some time last year I discovered a neat series by the BBC ... basically a small group of people go 'back in time' and live just as people did 'back then'. There are several different shows with an overlapping cast of experts in various fields; we have learned A LOT by watching these videos! I have not seen all of them but will put what I have found here for you all to watch (6 in all, each with more than one episode; I have only watched two all the way through to the end - Victorian Farm and Tales From Green Valley). A word of caution though, in one of the series the woman takes a bath. I get so frustrated with stuff like that!! Why do they have to show so much? It was not bad enough that I felt the need to censor it from my children, but then my children are all pretty much adults and have seen far worse. Even still, it just bugs me that they have to go showing so much skin.

Of course there are other things too like mild language and joking/humor that I do not agree with ... but once again, I've been much worse myself and my children have been around so much worse than that, so I am not willing to throw out the whole thing because of it. Some however might disagree with me. That's ok. You must use your own discernment. If this is something you would like to show your children, it's easy enough to watch the show yourself first and decide which episodes are appropriate for your situation.

One particular episode still sticks with me - when an expert basket maker (using the old methods of course) came and made a basket from start to finish. WOW! Very fascinating indeed. I had no idea so much went in to one basket. And their use of the hazel branches to make fences ... makes me wonder if we can grow hazel here? Those fences look very sturdy. I guess the dry stone wall was really neat too ... and thatching a roof ... and raising sheep ... and ....

Anyway, here they are. Enjoy ... or not ... it's up to you. Once again, I have NOT seen all of these ... some might be terrible, I don't know. Based on what I already saw, I cannot see it being too terrible????? But let me know if you see something I missed or something in one I have not seen yet that you think I would not appreciate. Also, if you think there are historical errors, please share!

Tudor Monastery Farm


Victorian Farm


Tales From Green Valley


Edwardian Farm


Wartime Farm


Victorian Pharmacy

1 comment:

  1. Bookmarking these to watch with my 8 year old daughter. I will preview for sure based on your review. Thank you so much

    ReplyDelete

Comments are moderated - I will get to them as soon as possible. Thank you!